Today, PRAAZO is going to tell some of the amazing and nearly unknown facts about India.
- India has 1650 languages – 30 of which are spoken by more than a million speakers and 122 of which are spoken by more than 10,000. There are 6 distinct language families that go beyond India.
- The whole region of Kashmir was “bought” for a measly 7.5 million rupees in the mid 19th century by the Hindu rulers. It even had a bill of sale.
- India has the wettest place on Earth – Cherrapunji receiving 463 inches of rain every year. Sometimes its neighbor Mawsynram is also claimed as the wettest place.
- Yoga has its origins in India and has existed for over 5,000 years.
- The ‘Place Value System’ and the ‘Decimal System’ were developed in India in 100 B.C.
- The Free Kitchen (langar) at Golden temple feed around 100,000 people free of cost every day.
- English Actor Sir Ben Kingsley’s birth name is Krishna Pandit Bhanji and he is of Indian (Gujarati) descent. He is known for starring as Mahatma Gandhi in the film Gandhi in 1982, for which he won the Academy Award for Best Actor. He is also known for his performances in the films Schindler’s List (1993), Sexy Beast (2000), Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (2010), Hugo (2011) and IronMan 3 (2013).
- Half the world’s outsourced IT services come from India, amounting to a $47 billion dollar industry.