Enjoy some of the mouth opening facts about Space:)
- Planet Venus is the only planet that rotates clockwise. Moreover, it does not tilt, so it has no seasons
- The rotation of the earth is decreasing at the rate of approximately 17 milliseconds a century. So, dinosaurs had only 22 hours a day to roam around the earth.
- Estimates also suggest that the Milky Way consists of about 400 billion stars and 50 billion planets.
- The earth day was shortened by 1.8 microseconds after the 2011 earthquake in Japan.
- The Apollo astronauts’ footprints on the moon will probably stay there for at least 100 million years.
Since the moon doesn’t have an atmosphere, there’s no wind or water to erode or wash away the Apollo astronauts’ mark on the moon. That means their footprints, spaceship prints, and discarded materials will stay preserved on the moon for a very long time.
They won’t stay on there forever, though. The moon still a dynamic environment. It’s actually being constantly bombarded with “micrometeorites,” which means that erosion is still happening on the moon, just very slowly.
- If two pieces of metal touch in space, they’ll bond permanently.This happens because the oxygen in our atmosphere forms a thin layer of oxidized metal on every exposed surface. This acts as a barrier that conveniently prevents metal from sticking to other chunks of metal. But since there is no oxygen in space, they stick to each other and this process is called Cold Welding.